Friday 9 November 2012

Seoul Soul

This is a Korean place close by the campus. It's been there forever, but I guess it changed hands a couple years ago and completely remodeled and re-menued. Among other things, they removed the sushi from the menu; this seems to be a common trend among Korean places here, as they cede the Japanese food domain to Chinese-run restaurants.

I'd long since removed it from my lunch rotation, and I hadn't been back since, so I guess it was high time.

I had stir-fried squid with vegetables, which came with a side of rice. The squid was good (although, huh: I think it was octopus, now that I think), and of course being Korean, the sauce was spicy. (When I was in Korea in 2005, the universal comment from Koreans to westerners about their food was, "it's so spicy!" It is, but it's much more than that.) There were a lot of onions and a few other veggies in the mix. It was a little oily, and honestly a bit one-note. Then again, it was tasty. The banchan were warm deep-fried potatoes, kimchi, and sesame-seasoned beansprouts. Yum.

I had: Lunch special #3: stirfried squid with vegetables and rice
I paid: We paid $25 for the two of us for lunch, including tax and tip.
Verdict:
Speed: Okay, but not brilliant. I guess I was mostly noticing the delay because we were parked right by the door, and it's drafty. They have an airlock-style door, but that doesn't work when you always keep the front door of the airlock open.
Quality: Good. I really would have enjoyed the meal more if the stirfry had tasted more complex. I kind of got bored.
Value: Was this really worth $12.50? I guess I don't think so, but I'm starting to wonder if I just have weird calibration. See, my brain still always thinks, "you know, if you were home, you could go to City Café, and spend $6.75 on a great lunch. I guess rents in the Plaza are too high to make that possible there.
Would go back: Yeah, I expect so.

No comments:

Post a Comment