Tuesday 13 November 2012

Kabob Hut

This was tasty!

It's a Persian place in the near plaza, which has been a bunch of different things over the years, but seems pretty stable in this incarnation.

I ordered the special for the day, which was tahchine (vaguely pronounced like tagine), advertised as rice with chicken, eggs and safron. It took a while to arrive, and I do wonder, since it includes the crusty rice on the edge of the pot that is an Iranian delicacy, if it would've been tastier if I'd not gotten it to go, since then it would have been crunchier.

But it was tasty, with very good saffron flavour, a decent amount of chicken breast pieces, and an eggy crust on the rice. I enjoyed the meal. I might even make it myself, soon.

I got: today's special, tahchine
I paid: $9.99 + tax = $11.29
Verdict:
Speed: Not so great. There were a bunch of people all waiting for their food for takeout, and the tables were pretty full, and it all-told wasn't ideal.
Quality: It was good! There was apparently the possibility of having it be half salad, which I didn't take, and I don't know why (well, I think then I would've found it overpriced). As a dish, it's a little too one-note: this isn't even biryani, with a greater diversity of spices and flavours. But all that said, it was tasty.
Value: OK. I'm actually glad they didn't skimp on the saffron, so I guess I'm happy to have paid for that. And it was white meat, not dark. In many ways, though, this lunch reminded me of Aunty's, except that one was a bigger lunch and would've been better still if I'd been smart and gotten salad.
Would go back: Yeah, I think so. I was a little lost with the menu (they even have pictures, but I don't know what I'm getting even with them!). But it was good, and different.

2 comments:

  1. Your link to the tahchine recipe is wrong. Easy fix though!

    Keep up the great work on this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Thanks. I'll fix that.

      And thank you for the kind comment. It's a bit of a slog, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete