Tuesday 20 November 2012

China Legend

As is probably clear by now, I'm not Chinese. But I do eat, just fine, with chopsticks. I learned almost 30 years ago, when I was at Edinboro Summer Academy (which seems in the intervening, um, long time to have changed into a program in science and math for young women).

So it's somewhat inconvenient that my dun dun mein comes with a plastic fork, not a pair of chopsticks.

And the food itself is a little weird: it's wheat noodles with a black-bean/garlic/Sichuan peppercorn sauce, some onion and green pepper, a few pieces of broccoli, and some pak choi. I'm used to the stuff from Mary Chung's, near MIT, which just had more depth of flavour.

This is fine, but ultimately too much boring food, rather than a smaller amount of better food.

I had: dun dun mein, which came with a little cup of hot-and-sour soup
I paid: $7.90 with tax.
Verdict:
Speed: pretty good. I wrote a Tripadvisor review (of someplace different) in the time it took me to wait for my food.
Quality: fine, but not great. I'm ultimately only eating half of it, because really, a big styrofoam container full of boring noodles just isn't cutting it.
Value: Actually not that amazing, given how cheap the ingredients were.
Would go back: No, I don't think so.

3 comments:

  1. This being one of the places I like to frequent, I thought I'd point out a couple of things. Yes, the do give you a fork by default, but we always ask for chopsticks. One of the things I really like about China Legend is that they start by bringing you Hot'n'Sour soup and tea right away - even before you've ordered anything. That used to be more common elsewhere, and I miss that. I'm pretty boring and almost always get the General Tso Chicken, but I do enjoy that!
    Anyhow, enjoying the reviews!
    - L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've gotten the Tso's, too. I just guess I was surprised that the utensils that came with it were what they were. Perhaps we could go there sometime!

      Delete
  2. I tend to frequent China Legend only with a group of people, because the "Chinese" menu lends itself well to ordering N-1 dishes to share between N people. They don't bring you the "Chinese" menu if you don't ask for it, or look Asian enough, or something.

    I've never had them bring me hot and sour soup to start, though, or a fork. It's almost as if there's two restaurants in the same place, and you choose your experience based on the menu you order from.

    ReplyDelete