Thursday 20 December 2012

Curry in a Hurry

I haven't been here in ages; if I want Indian food, I go to Kismet (though, after my visit there, I might instead go to Aunty's Cafe). (Yes, I do realize that Kismet is Bengali food, and of course, it's really UK-ish Indian food. Meh.)

In retrospect, I may have been too quick to write off Curry in a Hurry. It got bad, um, 8 or 10 years ago? But today's lunch, with D., was tasty.

Their menu allows the addition of flavourful items to your curry (it kind of feels a little too much like pizza toppings: spinach, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, etc.), which I think helps a lot, and specifically avoids the thing that I most dislike about Kismet: that my curry is a few hunks of meat in a sea of sauce. Instead, I got butter chicken with spinach and onion in it, and it turned out to be a good mix. They will spice to your preference, though this largely seems to consist of throwing hot sauce at the finished dish. (I don't think it's rooster sauce.) That seemed to be the primary difference between my dish and D.'s.

Today it was very windy outside, so we both wanted to warm up, so I had chai and D. had tea, as part of the lunch special. Two cups of tea later, and a nice spicy meal in my belly, I was much more comfortable facing the wind. Then the weather worsened, but this is conveniently not a weather blog.

I had: The lunch special: butter chicken with tomatoes and spinach, rice, a samosa, and a cup of chai
I paid: $11.50 + tax + tip, or around $14.50.
Verdict:
Speed: It was genuinely hurried. We got our drink order out before we'd gotten our coats off (I guess we looked cold!), and our food arrived soon thereafter.
Quality: I enjoyed it. The rice, in particular, I liked, but the overall dish was good. The spinach helped a lot. The samosa was more meh: in particular, I didn't like how grey the potato filling was!
Value: It seems a bit pricey, honestly. D. took home leftovers; I didn't. I thought the calzone last week was better value.
Would go back: Yeah, probably. I think Kismet is likely my least favourite of the three Indian options in the plaza, now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I hope you continue this blog. I am a rampant fan. Or at least a normal fan.

    ReplyDelete