Friday 7 December 2012

Pita Factory

This is yet another in the enormous list of pita places in the plaza. I believe the total is 5, and Pita Factory, like Pita Pit (which I haven't yet reached on this tour), is a franchise.

Today's chicken souvlaki was more expensive than at other places in the plaza. But I guess I'd admit that parts of it were better: it's December, and yet the tomatoes in my sandwich were pretty good. I fear for my breath, as the onions were fierce. And the pita didn't fall apart.

Workflow was not bad; I did notice that all of the people behind the counter were hunched over their table, and it isn't as fast as Grab-A-Greek, which has a smaller menu. But this was nothing like Just-N-Pita, which makes me nervous every time I go.

I had: a chicken souvlaki pita
I paid: $8.30 or so. (I can't remember, and I then got a coffee, so I can't tell from just counting my change.
Verdict:
Speed: okay. I kind of felt like I waited a couple minutes more than I'd have liked
Quality: better than I expected. The chicken tasted of chicken, and there were tomatoes and onions with the right flavours.
Value: I'm unconvinced that it's a $8+ sandwich. The ones at Just-N-Pita have more toppings, while at Grab-A-Greek they're cheaper. They're much cheaper at Phat Hat (name recently changed), but not tasty there.
Would go back: rarely. The physical experience is much more "deliberately uncomfortable" than at most of the other plaza restaurants: the chairs are hard, there are too many of them, etc. There are better choices.

3 comments:

  1. I think I liked Grab-A-Greek best of these places...maybe it's because the original owners are actually from Greece.

    Phat Cat is now...Phat Hat? New owners, I gather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. I guess so? If I'm going to re-do it, it'll wait until the rest of the tour is over. They could've picked a more...creative name.

      Delete
    2. The old owner had a sign up saying he was retiring, selling the restaurant, and the new owners were unassociated with him and would operate under a different name.

      I guess Phat Hat is minimally different while still fulfilling the old owner's request to not be associated.

      Delete