Tuesday 28 February 2017

Yoodlism

Hi!  We've not had posts here in over 4 years, but how about one about a brand-new place, so new that it's not even yet got a place-where-you-can-be-tagged in Facebook?

Yoodlism has gone into the spot where Grab-A-Greek previously was, in the near Plaza.  I went there today, because I didn't feel like sushi (another great recent addition: Sushi Ken, in the building bizarrely named Blair House, which is not at all the real Blair House), and Sweet Dreams had a huge line.

I was the only white person in the restaurant the whole time I was there.  The menu is short, a handful of versions of "noodles in broth with stuff", and a moderate number of choices for add-ons.  The menu includes several Chinese menu typos (most notably using "pig" where "pork" would raise fewer eyebrows).  I think there's only one vegetarian version of the noodles, a spicy dish with preserved vegetables.  So I ordered that, and the server specifically said, "the vegetarian one?"  "Yes."  They also don't have visible drinks other than a fridge with cans of soda and my server didn't understand when I asked if they only had soda

The bowl of noodles came a few minutes later.  Basically, a bowl of broth with lots of noodles and bok choi, and some cilantro on top.  The noodles are very tasty, and the broth is lip-tinglingly filled with Sichuan pepper flavour.  There's also some good sesame oil floating on top, and a good hit of chili and maybe star anise.  You don't seem to drink the broth, but it's just a lot of flavour for the noodles.  (There were no spoons, and I didn't see anyone drink it; it's served in wide ramen-type bowls.)

This is the most flavourful meal I've had in the plaza in quite a while, honestly.  (This is counting Sushi Ken as not-in-the-plaza; I'd say it was better.)  I hadn't realized that what I was missing in my life was noodles with Sichuan pepper, but in practice, maybe I was.  I really like the idea of eating a bowl of their noodles while drinking at Kick Off, which is next door.  I don't know how they do take-out...

I had:
The vegetarian special noodles (they were described with more words, but I don't remember them), and a can of ginger ale.
I paid: $12.95 including tax.  I can't remember if I tipped (looks in pocket; oh, hm, I guess not).
Verdict:
Speed: pretty good.  I'd had a pretty intense morning, so I didn't mind taking a few minutes to wait for my noodles.  I don't know if they make the noodles there. but they had a big tray of uncooked noodles, and I'm pretty sure they added them to a big pot of boiling water when I ordered.
Quality: very good!  Noodles tasty, broth really flavourful, decent amount of bok choi.
Would go back: Yes, definitely.  They had very little business when I was there.  I hope that changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment