Monday 22 October 2012

Mikey's Eatery

So, why is "sesame chicken" entirely un-sesame-tasting? I mean, there's a handful of sesame seeds floating on it, but it's mostly unidentified deep-fried chicken bits in a salty sauce. It's practically Chicken McNuggets post-dipping-sauce, except I don't eat them. Why do I eat this? The McNuggets are probably tastier.

The "fried rice" that goes with them is in no way fried; it just lives on a steam table. It also features frozen vegetable medley, that international mix of peas, corn and carrot bits that seems to be necessary in order to make something unhealthy "healthy". Mostly, it's flavourless.

And the supply of mixed veggies was, of course our old friends broccoli and carrots, accompanied in this case by cabbage, instead of onion or green pepper. (The former is cheap, but the latter is not.)

This meal made me actively question my willingness to complete this project. I actually liked Waterloo SOGO, and I can't go back until after I eat another dozen (probably more) bad meals. This makes me sad.

But at least Mel's will re-open in there, too.

I had: Lunch special with sesame chicken and a can of ginger ale
I paid: $7.90
Verdict:
Speed: It's steam table food (again).
Quality: Not really great. I didn't question my will to live, but I did question my will to finish this project.
Value: Lots of meh food for not much money. What I'd give for a meal that gave me less food, but better!
Would go back: No.

6 comments:

  1. Don't despair! You still have Just n' Pita ahead of you, which, despite the name(what is it supposed to mean??), has always been tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. Terrible workflow, but tasty. I've kind of been holding it in abeyance for just that reason.

      Delete
  2. And isn't there Grab-A-Greek as well, with their fries in the gyro?

    --
    Have you tried ordering off their menu before? Their dishes are generally better than their steam table variety. And the HK style milk bubble tea was probably the best in the area, so it's too bad they don't sell that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's funny: I think that lunch earlier this week was the first time I ate at Mikey's. Which is kind of crazy.

      Do you think it's better than Chen's (the place on the corner, near Mongolian)?

      [I never liked bubble tea, but that's mostly because I don't like the tapioca.]

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I don't think I've tried Chen's (that was a Mexican place before that, I think?)...but Mikey's was one of the few that's stuck around (which is why I have tried them). With so many Asian places opening up, I don't even know which ones to attempt to try - including the odd mix of "Congee+Bar" at the other plaza (where Caesar Martinis was)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a Mexican place, Casa Salsa, which has a booth in the Kitchener market.

      And yeah, the existence of so many Asian places in the plaza was a big motivation in starting this blog!

      Delete