Friday 31 August 2012

Sweet Dreams

I actually like eating here, and when I asked the owner today if it'd been 11 years, she said, "no, 13!"  And then we joked about how we were both in our 30s, and it was a fun moment.  I don't go all the time, but it's tasty.

I am told that the soup they use is beef-based, but I'm pretending not to hear that (I don't eat mammal), much as a vegan friend, a long time ago, pretended not to hear me when I told him that Ethiopian food is cooked with clarified butter.

I wish it were a little quieter in the restaurant; it's one of the ones where I consider wearing earplugs.  But I guess there's not much to be done: they do make blender drinks. 

I don't like bubble tea, but they also do serve regular tea (though too hot), and so I'm always happy with that.

This isn't exactly a seasonal meal, as it's 30C outside and I had a large bowl of soup for lunch.  But I'm certainly happier with it than with any of the other four I've so far blogged here.

I had: spicy ramen with fish balls and veggie dumplings, a cup of jasmine tea.
I paid: $6.77 + tip
Verdict:
Speed: Not super fast, and this is sometimes the biggest problem with Sweet Dreams.  Today was fine.
Quality: It's not earth-shattering, but the soup is tasty.  There's a sameness, and the only vegetable in it is the bok choy.  But I've had much worse.  This week, even.
Value: Pretty good, actually.  I'm quite full, and I carried most of my cup of tea back to the office with me to nurse through the afternoon.
Would go back: Yes, unless someone shows me the beef bones they're using to make the soup broth.  Hint: please don't.

4 comments:

  1. Well, glad to see this because my comment up to now was going to be how sad this blog made me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are definite advantages to living here versus where you are (lack of politicians that own the entire media, for example). Lunch is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you go often? In the past 3 years of frequently going, I have yet to see the owner. I saw her many years ago, back when they first started.

    And you really can't expect the place to be quiet, despite it being a tea shop, it's turned more of a snakes and lattes place rather than a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's more the combination of the loud music and the employees shouting over the blenders.

    And of course it's a loud place at night. But it surprises me how loud it is during the day.

    You know, I don't remember when I'd last seen her. I probably go there around ten times a year, more in winter than in summer.

    ReplyDelete