Thursday 30 August 2012

Subway

I don't know why I just went there.  The dude in front of me in line was practicing his martial arts.  (Seriously.)  It smells like Subway, that not-really-yeasty-but-still-kind-of-bready smell. I don't like that smell.

My sub.  Um, did I just actually eat something, aside from the bag of Sun Chips?  (Why are Sun Chips "better for you" than regular chips?  I mean, yes, they're tasty, featuring both salt and "autolyzed yeast extract" ~ MSG, but still...)

Um, I think it had turkey in it, and some random mayonnaise-chipotle-y sauce.  I guess it's mildly fusion-tastic to have that on the parmesan-oregano bread, but I've seen someone else get a chicken teriyaki sub there with similar saucing and bread, so I'm a piker by comparison.

Meh. 

I had: a turkey sub with a bag of chips.
I paid: $5.90; it was the $4 sub-of-the-day, which means I would've paid just $4.20 if that'd been all I got, thanks to the lower rate of tax on such purchases.  I'm not sure the chips were worth that much more...though they were more flavourful than my sandwich.
Verdict:
Speed: fast.  Sensible workflow.  Why are all of the other sandwich shops so bad at this?!  Is it intellectual property of Subway?
Quality: meh.  Yes, this is the standard vote here already.  Welcome to the U Plaza.
Value: I guess it's okay?  I mean, I already have largely forgotten the sub existed.  As fleeting moments go, it was pretty damn ephemeral.  But it was cheap.
Would go back: I haven't been to a Subway outside an airport or roadside rest stop in years, and I can't see why I would change that.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA, I love that aside about the $4 limit on provincial taxes. My dad is actually one of the authors of the original piece of legislation, which came about in the early to mid-80s. (He was a co-op student at the time.) Needless to say, my brothers and I love to rip on him for not including some kind of inflation clause, as our buying power at $4 is undoubtedly less than it would have been in the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I didn't grow up here, so I didn't even know that rule existed until the HST came in (it was, for a while, looking like it'd go away then).

    The $100,000-earners list has the same property: it came into effect to show people what "senior managers" at public institutions were paid...and now includes most Waterloo profs.

    ReplyDelete