Thursday 30 August 2012

Phat Cat

The last time I was here was...2004?  Not too long after they opened, actually.  I was on campus in the evening because I needed to proctor a final exam, and they gave me a Greek salad with moldy feta.  I never went back: it's not as though I don't have alternatives.

This is one of the zillions (5? more) of pita-shawarma-falafel-... places in the plaza, which do provide the useful service of feeding our students enough cheap food that they'll want to have a nap during afternoon classes.

In service of you, Gentle Reader, I got a chicken souvlaki yesterday.  Hooray.  They allow up to 4 toppings and 2 sauces: I had mine with onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, tzatziki and hot sauce.

It was fine.  The pita was actually tasty (probably because of its having been grilled?); the chicken banal, and the hot sauce a bit too prevalent.  It was badly assembled, and wanted to fall out of its wrapper.

I got: a chicken souvlaki
I paid: $4.50+tax
Verdict:
Speed: Quite fast.  This place has bad workflow (you come in, and immediately are at the "receive your pita" end of the line, not the "order your pita" end).  But it's certainly better than a couple of other places which will wind up on this blog in due course.
Quality: Meh.  Nothing to write home about.
Value: Pretty decent.  You can get two souvlakis for $8+tax, which would be a good cheap lunch for two people.  I think they're a fair sight more at the franchise places elsewhere in the plaza, and at Just N Pita, which I think has better food.
Would go back: Probably not, but I could understand if someone who wanted cheaper lunches than me did.

3 comments:

  1. Cheesesteaks! They compare favorably with many in Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. I've never gotten anything but "2" or "2 chicken". I'll try the cheesesteak I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I don't eat those, but that's good to know.

    ReplyDelete