Monday 17 September 2012

Chen's

This is the place in the plaza right next to Mongolian. I feel old to remember when it was a computer store, Back When.

I've been getting food from there for quite a while, though it's not exactly exciting. Perhaps it's better if one doesn't get white people Chinese food, but regardless, I did get General Tso's chicken with rice. (Yes, I do know that that dish has a surprisingly complicated history. And yes, I realize that what's in Canadian restaurants bears only the most vague resemblance to what's in China. And fortune cookies are Japanese.)

Overall, it was a little less crunchy than it should've been, but the sauce is properly garlicky/gingery/spicy. The book cited before says that General Tso's in the US typically includes broccoli ("white people love broccoli"), but this one had green pepper instead.

This isn't great food, but I guess it's lunch. I had really terrific food in some of the places in Slovenia. And now I am home.

I had: General Tso's chicken and rice
I paid: $7.90
Verdict:
Speed: Surprisingly fast. I was reading something on my phone, and my food appeared way faster than I expected
Quality: Not bad; at least it's flavourful, but the chicken isn't great, and wasn't yummy.
Value: It's pretty cheap, and there are other comparably cheap things on the menu. It feels like a big lunch.
Would go back: Yeah, probably? I'm jetlagged, and wanted someplace I didn't have to walk far to get to. But this ain't great.

No comments:

Post a Comment